Bronx New Deal - Photo #75 - Lehman College Campus

    Enlarge
75

Gillet Hall at Lehman College, one of the four original Collegiate Gothic stone buildings built between 1929 and 1931 by FDR's New York WPA (TERA). June 2014. The other three were Davis Hall, the Music Building, and the Gymnasium. From 1931 to 1941 this was a women's college (Hunter Bronx). When the war started, the campus served as a training station for WAVES (US Navy Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Services). In 1946 the gymnasium building was used for the first meetings of the United Nations Security council, before the UN building was completed in Manhattan. The campus resumed its educational role in 1947, still as the Bronx campus of Hunter College but with a new division for returning veterans, and finally became Lehman College in 1967. References: