Central Park New Deal Sites - Photo #57 - Still Hunt Statue

   
57

The Still Hunt (crouching panther) statue by Edward Kemeys, from 1885, Park Drive at about East 76th Street. Refurbished and remounted in 1937 by WPA workers.
  1. Still Hunt History, New York City Parks Department website: “In 1937, the Parks monuments crew repatined the piece and secured it to the natural rock outcropping.”
  2. The Columbus Monument (explains the monuments crew's New Deal connection).
  3. New Deal Assistance in NYC Parks Department Projects, 1934-43.