What we know today as the Tavern on the Green
in Central Park at West
66th Street was originally a “sheep fold”; that is, a barn for
the sheep that used to graze on the Sheep Meadow. Meanwhile the Central Park Casino
exclusive club for the rich and powerful[2,pp.397-401] situated across the
park, was deemed an improper use of public land and torn down and the sheep
fold converted into a ”popular priced restaurant” open to the
- Rosenzweig, Roy, and Elizabeth Blackmar,
Park and the People: A History of Central Park, Cornell University Press
- Caro, Robert A., The Power Broker - Robert Moses and the Fall of New
York, Vintage Books (1974).
- New York City Parks
Department press release of October 29, 1934.
Report of the Department of Parks to August 1934: Memorandum on 1935
Budget Request of the Department of Parks, NYC Department of