Central Park New Deal Sites - Photo #29 - Central Park Zoo

   
29

Central Park Zoo: One of many granite eagle sculptures scattered around the grounds. They were created 1912 for the bridge that went over Shore Road from First Avenue in Brooklyn; the bridge was later demolished for the construction of the Gowanus Parkway and the eight eagles were sent to the Central Park Zoo in 1941. Originally 4 of them were at the corners of seal pool, but they were moved in the 1988 renovation.

Reference:

  1. Central Park Zoos, NYC Parks Department website.
  2. Scheier, Joan, The Central Park Zoo, Arcadia Publishing (2002), p.58.