The Central Park Zoo
1934, the original Central Park Menagerie, which was just wooden sheds and
some cages, was torn down and replaced by nine brick and concrete buildings
and with landscaping and seal pool, designed by CWA-paid Parks Department
architects   [10,p.352] , the materials paid for by the CWA
[2,pp.383-385], and the labor also. The Zoo was renovated in the 1980s;
shows the the
original parts that still remain, including two buildings and the Dancing Goat
and Dancing Bear
statues by Frederick Roth, plus numerous friezes.
Central Park Zoo Opening Day, December 2, 1934.
The Gift Shop, pictured above, is one of the few 1934 buildings that
survives after the entire zoo was rebuilt in 1988. This was the design of
all the buildings: brick topped by a limestone frieze showing what to find
inside the building (in this case birds — click the Enlarge button
to see), with a slate roof and an ornate chimney.
- Rosenzweig, Roy, and Elizabeth Blackmar,
Park and the People: A History of Central Park, Cornell University Press
- Caro, Robert A., The Power Bro