Bronx New Deal - Photo #368 - French Charley's Playground

    Enlarge
368

A playground at French Charley's Playground (which also has two ball fields) in Bronx Park at East 204th Street and Webster Avenue, June 2014. Named after Charley Mangin who owned a French restaurant in the area in the 1890s. Renovated in 2001 (new equipment and safety surfacing). This is one of many WPA projects in the Bronx; it was built in 1940-41. References:

The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu