Bronx New Deal - Photo #315 - Claremont Park

    Enlarge
315

Claremont Park, Bronx NY, a 1940 Works Progress Administration project. Occupying about 17 acres bounded by Mt. Eden Parkway on the north, Morris and Teller Avenues on the west, and Clay Avenue on the east, the renovated park opened opened on on December 7, 1940. This photo from June 2014 shows the playground at Mount Eden Parkway and Morris Avenue (of course the equipment has been replaced since 1940).

From a Parks Department press release, September 14, 1940:

The Department of Parks announces the opening without ceremonies on Saturday, September 14, of three new marginal playgrounds in Claremont Park, The Bronx. The balance of the park which is now being redesigned and reconstructed will remain closed until completion of the improvement later in the fall of this year.

Two of these small children's playgrounds, one at Teller Avenue directly opposite Morris Avenue and the other in the northeast section at Mt. Eden and Topping Avenues are completely equipped with kindergarten swings, slides, sand pits and see-saws while the third playground at the northwest corner at Mt. Eden and Morris Avenues has in addition a free play space with a shower basin and a pipe frame exercise unit. Adjacent to the playground at Mt. Eden and Morris Avenues is a softball diamond. All the areas have been surfaced with bituminous m