|▶ ◀ ▲|
State University of New York Maritime College, Fort SchuylerNamed for Philip J. Schuyler, a General of the American Revolution, this structure, built between 1833 and 1856, was designed, along with Fort Totten, to protect the lower end of Long Island sound. When in use, the fort was equipped with an armament of 312 guns which could be aimed through its thick stone walls. It was used as a prison camp during the Civil War, and was abandoned in 1870 but restored in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration to serve as a Merchant Marine Academy.
New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation
1989Tiffany & Co.