Macombs Dam Park on West 161st Street, Bronx NY, July 21, 2014.
The New York City Parks Department
Press Release for October 14, 1935
The Department of Parks will open twelve new playgrounds throughout the city
on Monday, October 14th at 4:00 P.M. ... In the Bronx they are at Hunts
Point and Spoffard Avenues and Faile Street; East 164th Street to Teasdale
Place East of Boston Road; Reservoir Avenue between University and Webb
Avenues (Fort No.4) and at Jerome and Sedgwick Avenues ... Three
playgrounds have wading pools, six have handball courts, four have
basketball courts and eight have jungle gyms, swings, slides, seesaws, and
other outdoor gymnasium equipment.
Macombs Dam Park is the last one mentioned, although not by name. It is the
only park where Jerome and Sedgwick Avenues meet, just west of Yankee Stadium
Macombs Dam Park was not a New Deal creation; it was first opened in 1899
and was famous for its athletic fields (see history
But the press release confirms that at least one playground was added to it
by the Parks Department to it during the New Deal. And since all Parks
Department projects in the 1930s used New Deal funding and labor (as
), this park
includes at least one New Deal contribution. It should also be pointed out
(as noted in the material just linked to) that from January 1934 to May
1937, New York City park maintenance was done by PWA and WPA workers.
In any case, only this playground (obviously totally rebuilt since the
1930s) remains of the original Macombs Dam Park, which has the new Yankee
Stadium sitting on it.