Bronx New Deal - Photo #614 - Ranaqua Bronx Park Department Headquarters

    Enlarge
614

”Ranaqua, the Bronx headquarters of the Department of Parks & Recreation of the City of New York, is located in the southeastern part of Bronx Park, east of the northbound lanes of the Bronx River Parkway. The name is the Reckgawank Algonquin (Delaware) word for 'End Place,' the peninsula originally sold to Jonas Bronck in 1639. The three-story brick building, with its adjacent garages, yards and shops, was built by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) and opened by Robert Moses in 1937.”[1]

References:

  1. Bronx Park: Ranaqua, New York City Department of Parks website.

The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu