|▶ ◀ ▲|
Records of specific projects in this area are scant; we have only the May 4, 1936, press release from which it is clear that a baseball field was built on the site in 1936, and that more facilities were scheduled to be built. Reference 2 explains why this is a New Deal project, even though New Deal funding and labor are not credited in the press release. In any case, Reference 3 implicates the Works Progress Administration in the project.
The “courts” themselves are those at the bottom of the picture. There were originally six tennis courts, one basketball court, and four handball courts, but now it's just basketball and handball.
While Trojan Field figures prominently in memoirs of the old days