Misc Virginia PWA Projects - Photo #7
Swan Tavern at Colonial Yorktown, a facsimile of the original tavern.
Completed in December 1934. “The headquarters building [of the
National Historical Park] is a reconstruction of the Swan Tavern on its
original foundation. The design conforms to all evidence that has been
gathered regarding the original structure and provides a central hall with
four rooms opening from it on both first and second floors. The basement
contains workrooms and fireproof record vault. the project includes a
stable and smokehouse and was completed in December 1934 at a cost of
National Historical Park of Virginia” consists of Jamestown,
Yorktown, and Williamsburg.
C.W., and R. Stanley Brown, Public Buildings, A Survey of
Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental
Bodies between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public
Works Administration, United States Government Printing Office, Washington
(1939), page 145.
Photos from C.W. Short, U.S. Federal Works Agency Public Buildings (1939).