Bronx New Deal - Photo #339 - Bronx Park North

    Enlarge
339

Bronx Park occupies the banks of the Bronx River from East 180th to about East 236th Street. The part south of about East 204th Street and west of the Bronx River Parkway is taken up by the New York Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo (see Google map). The part north of 204th Street, as well as the part between 180th and 204th Streets East of the Parkway, including the long narrow part from 211th Street to 231st known as Shoelace Park, were created out of wild forest land in 1940-41 by the New Deal Works Progress Administration (see next page).

The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu