Central Park Zoo
: One of many granite
eagle sculptures scattered around the grounds. They were created 1912 for the
bridge that went over Shore Road from First Avenue in Brooklyn; the bridge
was later demolished for the construction of the Gowanus Parkway and the
eight eagles were sent to the Central Park Zoo in 1941. Originally 4 of
them were at the corners of seal pool, but they were moved in the 1988
Park Zoos, NYC Parks Department website.
- Scheier, Joan, The Central
Park Zoo, Arcadia Publishing (2002), p.58.