|▶ ◀ ▲|
In June of 1941, Parks developed this playground and the fields, and the WPA (Works Progress Administration) provided the labor force for the new construction. The WPA was a massive program initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as a component of the New Deal. The WPA successfully instituted and administered countless public works, in attempt to pull America out of the depression. Within a year of its creation, the WPA provided paychecks to 3.6 million previously unemployed people in the United States. New York City received more of this funding than any other city in the country.