, the promenade along the river
looking south towards 72nd Street and beyond it to the few remaining piers
on Manhattan's West Side. The dark object is a gantry crane and transfer
bridge at 69th, built in 1911, left over from the old railroad days, for
transferring boxcars to and from river barges. It was left in place as a
kind of memorial to the West Side's industrial, shipping, railroading past.
HISTORIC AMERICAN ENGINEERING RECORD HENRY HUDSON PARKWAY HAER
No. NY-334, New York Metropolitan Transportation Council (2006), p.184.