Van Cortlandt Golf Course
occupies the center of Van Cortlandt Park.
When it opened in 1895, it was the nation's first municipal golf course,
and the first one open to the public. Worked on and ultimately heavily
modified by the Parks Department using New Deal funding and relief labor,
Cortlandt Park History, New York City Department of Parks website.
- NYC Parks Dept press release
of May 7, 1936: “Van Cortlandt and Mosholu [golf courses] in the
Bronx ... have been reconditioned and remodeled to some extent. All this
work has been done with relief funds provided by the C.W.A., T.E.R.A. and
- NYC Parks Dept press
release of October 21, 1941: “Department of Parks announces the
completion of work in connection with the construction of a traffic relief
road connecting Mosholu Avenue and the Henry Hudson Parkway and the
restoration of the park and golf course in the north central section of Van
Cortlandt Park, The Bronx. Extensive alterations to the Van Cortlandt Golf
Course were necessary. Six holes were completely reconstructed on the north
end of the Van Cortlandt Park "Flats". The sections of the old fairways
supporting satisfactory turf were undistrubed. Worn surfaces together with
the sections disturbed by grading operations were also topsoiled and seeded.
These six new well trapped holes were provided with broad, sloping greens
sodded with Astoria and Seaside Bent. Parallel fairways have been
effectively demarcated by groupings of 3 inch to 5 inch caliper pin