Van Cortlandt Manor
at the sourthern end of the Parade Ground
. Nothing to do with the New
Deal, but it's a historic house and a park landmark. The Van Cortlandt
family bought the land in 1710, built the house in 1748, and lived in it
until 1888, when the City took possession. In 1776 George Washington had
his headquarters here while his troops camped on the adjoining
Cortlandt Mansion and Museum, New York City Parks Department website.
- Ultan, Lloyd, and Shelley Olson, The
Bronx: The Ultimate Guide to New York City's Beautiful Borough, Rutgers
University Press (2015), pp.31-41.