Misc Virginia PWA Projects - Photo #14

    Enlarge
14

Chapel and Gate to Arlington National Cemetery, Fort Myer, Virginia. “The Quartermaster Corps of the Army designed and constructed this chapel at Fort Myer and also built the new entrance gateway. The chapel is used for religious services at the post and also for rites in the cemetery. It is a brick building with wood cornice, an entrance porch of four stone columns, and a wood spire which rises to a height of 97 feet. The gateway with its brick posts, wide iron gates, and iron lamps ties into the wall surrounding the cemetery. The chapel was completed in May 1935. The P.W.A. Allotment for it was $101,724 and the allotment for the gateway was $3,514.50.”[1] 

“It was late April of 1935, Easter Sunday was on the 21st and the dedication of the Post Chapel that would bring a formal place of worship to Fort Myer. The project was begun and carefully watched over by then Maj George S. Patton, Jr., another of his legacies to this historic US Army Post. In an Oct 1933 report to then Post Commander, Col Kenyon Joyce, Patton outlined the specifics of building a principal chapel and nixed the idea of a separate mortuary chapel on Fort Myer. His conclusions were drawn after a field trip to Walter Reed Hospital in Washington DC where he surveyed the chapels on the grounds. Highlighted within the book ‘Images of America - Fort Myer’ among the other historical photographs and images are images of the chapel and Patton Hall which was first used as a chapel before the ‘Old Post Chape