Photo: US Navy via Wikipedia
Coast Guard Cutter USCGC John C. Spencer WPG-36
This Treasury Class cutter was built at Brooklyn Navy Yard 1935-1937, served
in the Pacific during World War II as a convoy escort and in the
Altantic as a U-boat hunter, sinking one (U-175) in 1943. Continued to
serve until January 1974, sold for scrap in 1981.
Wikipedia (accessed 15 June 2018)
to Get Jobs at Navy Yard on PWA's Contract,
New York Daily News 29 Jan 1934, Brooklyn Section p.1: "The [Brooklyn
Navy] yard is to build two Coast Guard cruising cutters. The amount
involved is more than $3,000,000 and the funds are to come from PWA. The
work at its peak will provide employment for 800 men and last for nearly two
years." These were the Alexander Hamilton and
the John C. Spencer, which were the only two Coast Guard cutters built
at BNY during the New Deal.