New Mexico New Deal Sites June 2019 - Photo #163 - Santa Fe: New Mexico School for the Deaf

New Mexico School for the Deaf: Building Number 2, the School/Administration Building, built in 1937 with some combination of WPA and PWA funds. Now called Dillon Hall. Architect: Gordon F. Street.
  1. Albuquerque Journal, 12 Sep 1937, p.10, photo caption: "...this building, constructed with a $65,000 PWA allotment..."
  2. National Register Digital Asset, National Park Service, NPGallery Digital Asset Management System website, National Register Information System ID: 88001560, accessed 14 July 2019: "The School Building Number 2 is significant because it was the second building constructed under a program to modernize the institution, it was a WPA project, and Gordon Street was the architect. This building is one of six constructed in the late 1930's using WPA funds." (WPA is a typo; it was PWA.)
  3. National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet, National Park Service, 8 August 1988. This is a legible, searchable PDF of the form "thumbnail" that appears in [1].
  4. C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown, Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration, Washington DC, Government Printing Office (1939), p.396. "Administration and Classroom Building, New Mexico Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb", Santa Fe, New Mexico: The administration and classroom building is the second unit to be constructed in the program to modernize this institution. In addition to the administrative offices, it provides 24 classrooms for the teaching of deaf pupils, vocational shops, and in the third-floor tower, a room for the teaching of special subjects where more area is required than in the standard classroom. The construction is fireproof. Exterior walls are load-bearing tile with a stucco finish. Foundations and floor slabs are reinforced concrete and the roof is bar-joist construction. The project was completed on December 1936 at a construction cost of $136,228 and a project cost of $145,378." New Mexico Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb was the original name for school; after a long campaign, it was changed to New Mexico School for the Deaf by the state legislature in 1923, but the old name "stuck" for several decades afterward.