Santa Fe NM 18 June 2019: The former Santa Fe Municipal Building
which housed the city hall, a fire station, and a jail, was designed by
architect John Gaw Meem and built with PWA financing
. Located at 145
Washington Avenue, it now houses the Santa Fe Public Library
moved to this location in 1987 from what is now the Fray
Angélico Chávez History Library
across the street.
- Kathryn A. Flynn, Public Art and Architecture in New Mexico
1933-1943: A guide to the New Deal Legacy, Sunstone Press (2012), p.117.
Fe's New Municpal Building To Be Formally Dedicated Tomorrow,
The Santa Fe New Mexican, 30 October 1937, p.1: "Santa Fe's new
$130,000 home of municpal government will be formally dedicated tomorrow...
Archbishop R.A. Gerken, Gov. Clyde Tingley, ..., State PWA Administrator E.H.
Oakley ... are on the program for addresses... The new city hall was
erected as a Public Works Administration program, the federal
government contributing $54,000 to match $75,000 subscribed by Santa Fe
voters in a bond issue... Plans and specifications of the building were
prepared by John Gaw Meem..."
- Elizabeth West, Santa Fe: 400 Years, 400 Questions, Sunstone
Press (2012), p.295.