The Van Cortlandt Park Parade Ground
. This 43-acre field was built
in 1901 as a training area for the New York National Guard. In the 1930s,
Robert Moses, New York City's first citywide parks commissioner, redesigned
the Parade Ground as athletic fields[2,3]. Today it is a large flat area
where every conceivable kind of game is played, from Irish football to bocce
ball to cricket, not to mention (American) football and soccer (fútbol).
Cortlandt Park History, New York Parks Department website.
- NYC Parks Dept press release
of May 4, 1936: “Three reconstructed big league baseball diamonds
will be opened on the Parade Grounds in Van Cortlandt Park. This entire area
has had a new system of drainage installed and construction is proceeding on
seven similar baseball fields, three cricket fields, two soccer fields and
one lacrosse field.”
- Ultan, Lloyd, and Shelley Olson, The Bronx: The Ultimate Guide to New York City's Beautiful Borough, Rutgers
University Press (2015), p.34.
- New Deal Assistance in
NYC Parks Department Projects, 1934-43.