WPA comfort station in St. Mary's
at 148th Street and St. Ann's Avenue in the Bronx. Public
, designed by C.B.J. Snyder and built in 1897, is in the
background. This is only one of many majestic, monumental, magnificent, and
beautiful school buildings in the Bronx dating from an era when public
education was valued and honored and fully funded.