St. Mary's Park
, the largest park in the southeast Bronx, bounded by
East 149th Street, St. Ann's Avenue, St. Mary's Street, and Jackson Avenue,
June 22, 2015. This park was totally reconstructed by the WPA at the same
time as Crotona Park
, and reopened in October
1941. The Parks Department press
release of October 13, 1941
St. Mary's Park consisting in large part of steep and rocky
terrain had fallen into a state of shabbiness and disrepair owing to hard
usage, outmoded design and erosion due to failure of old drainage systems.
The large size of the area made it necessary to attack the rehabilitation
problem in sections. For the past few years, by means of relief labor and
contract work the Department of Parks, has progressed, the improvement of
the park and its facilities, installing a large children's playground at
East 147 Street and St. Ann's Avenue, constructing walks, comfort stations,
erecting benches, etc.
Under the current project the remainder of the area has been
improved. Some walks have been eliminated and all others have been
regraded, repaved and corrected as to alignment. A new playground has been
provided on St. Mary's Street near Crimmins Avenue. Various overlook
sitting areas have been added and the ground topsoiled, seeded and
The work was carried out by the Work Projects
Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.
Today's Parks Department website notes, in this page
that "In response to rapid population growth and residential construction in
the neighborhood, three additional playgrounds opened in the park between
1938 and 1941."