Bronx New Deal - Photo #226 - Crotona Park

    Enlarge
226

Indian Pond and boathouse at Crotona Park, June 2014. The boat house was designed built by the WPA as part of the massive reconstruction of Crotona Park that was completed in 1941. The pond is covered with algae and choked with vegetation; it was restored in 2009 but then there was a problem with pond scum that had not yet been addressed when this photo was taken (search news). To see how this part of the park looked in 2009, just after the renovation, CLICK HERE. According to the Parks Department, the boathouse rented boats until the the 1970s. In 1984 it was briefly a nature center for Urban Park Rangers, and as of 2001, it's a nature center again.

The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu