Bronx New Deal - Photo #272 - Van Cortlandt Park Southwest Playground

    Enlarge
272

The entrance to Van Cortlandt Park's Southwest Playground, which opened in 1939 as part of Van Cortlandt Stadium, a New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project first announced in [1].

References:

  1. NYC Parks Department press release of November 7, 1937: ”In the Bronx, at Van Cortlandt Park South and Broadway, there will be a fully equipped small children's playground, with an oval wading pool 56' × 94' and with benches and shade trees for mothers and guardians. This is the first unit to be completed in a large recreational development, which will include football and baseball fields and a quarter mile running track.”
  2. Van Cortlandt Park: Southwest Playground, New York City Parks Department website: “Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Van Cortlandt Stadium opened on September 22, 1939. New York City, under the direction of Moses and Mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia (1882-1947), was able to secure a great deal of WPA funding. Park construct