Bronx New Deal - Photo #95 - Orchard Beach

    Enlarge
95

The north bathhouse wing, deserted and fenced off (as is the entire bathhouse), showing visible signs of decay due to unforeseen reaction of the concrete to the salt air, explained on the little green and white sign.

The principal architect was Aymar Embury II, one of Robert Moses' chief Park Department architects, paid out of a CWA (New Deal) grant, who was also responsible for hundreds of other public works projects, including the Central Park Zoo, the Prospect Park Zoo, the Crotona Park pool and bathhouse, the Astoria Play Center pool and bathhouse, the New York City building at the 1939 World's Fair (now the Queens Museum of Art), the Triborough Bridge, the Henry Hudson Bridge, Bryant Park, and Jacob Riis Park.


The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu