Central Park New Deal Sites - Photo #46 - Tavern on the Green

   
46

Central Park Sheep Meadow about 1910
What we know today as the Tavern on the Green in Central Park at West 66th Street was originally a “sheep fold”; that is, a barn for the sheep that used to graze on the Sheep Meadow. Meanwhile the Central Park Casino, an exclusive club for the rich and powerful[2,pp.397-401] situated across the park, was deemed an improper use of public land and torn down and the sheep fold converted into a ”popular priced restaurant”[3] open to the public[4].
  1. Rosenzweig, Roy, and Elizabeth Blackmar, The Park and the People: A History of Central Park, Cornell University Press (1992), pp.449-451.
  2. Caro, Robert A., The Power Broker - Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, Vintage Books (1974).
  3. New York City Parks Department press release of October 29, 1934.
  4. The Report of the Department of Parks to August 1934: Memorandum on 1935 Budget Request of the Department of Parks, NYC Department of Parks