, Bronx NY, a 1940 Works Progress
project. Occupying about 17 acres bounded by Mt. Eden
Parkway on the north, Morris and Teller Avenues on the west, and Clay Avenue
on the east, the renovated park opened opened on on December 7, 1940. This
photo from June 2014 shows the playground at Mount Eden Parkway and Morris
Avenue (of course the equipment has been replaced since 1940).
Department press release, September 14, 1940:
The Department of Parks announces the opening without ceremonies
on Saturday, September 14, of three new marginal playgrounds in
Claremont Park, The Bronx. The balance of the park which is now being
redesigned and reconstructed will remain closed until completion of
the improvement later in the fall of this year.
Two of these small children's playgrounds, one at Teller Avenue
directly opposite Morris Avenue and the other in the northeast section
at Mt. Eden and Topping Avenues are completely equipped with kindergarten
swings, slides, sand pits and see-saws while the third playground
at the northwest corner at Mt. Eden and Morris Avenues has in
addition a free play space with a shower basin and a pipe frame exercise
unit. Adjacent to the playground at Mt. Eden and Morris Avenues is a
softball diamond. All the areas have been surfaced with bituminous
material to provide all year round usage and are landscaped with shade
trees and numerous concrete benches.
The opening of these three playgrounds designed by the Park
Department and built and landscaped by the Work Projects Administration
makes a total of 291 new playgrounds completed by the Park Department
since January 1, 1934. At that time there were 119 playgrounds in the
five boroughs, 52 of these have been redesigned and reconstructed. At
present there are 410 playgrounds in the City Park System.
And from the
Department press release
on opening day:
This park has been redesigned by the Department of
Parks and constructed by the Work Projects Administration to
provide wider year round usage for all ages and groups of
citizens of the surrounding community. Besides three new
children's playgrounds which were opened on September 14 of
this year, the old playground at the East 170 Street end of
the park has been enlarged and provided with shuffleboard,
volleyball and handball courts, a wading pool and play apparatus.
There are also two large open play areas, one containing
two softball diamonds and the other a softball diamond, basketball
and volleyball courts, the surfaces of which can be used
for roller and iceskating. Encircling this latter area is a
one quarter mile bituminous surfaced bicycle and roller skating
track. The balance of the park has been landscaped and provided
with wide walks, benches and broad sloping lawns.