Kingsbridge Heights Bronx - Photo #10 - Jerome Park Reservoir Gatehouses

   
10

Jerome Park Reservoir has seven gatehouses: three offsite and four onsite such as the two shown here, the darker brick Gatehouse No.7 at left and the lighter brick Gatehouse No.5 at right. Gatehouses control the flow of water into and out of the reservoir via gates, sluices, and pumps and may also perform other functions such as filtering and chlorination. The original 1906 reservoir had gates and sluices but the buildings to contain them were not built as planned for lack of funds, which did not appear until the New Deal. The above-grade superstructures (the brick buildings you see in this and the following pictures) were designed by the NY Department of Water Supply Gas and Electric (DWSG&E) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and built by the WPA in 1938-1939[1]; they contain such things as sluice gate controls, chlorinating equipment controls, switch rooms, equipment and boat storage, offices, and locker rooms.

References:

  1. Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement for the Croton Water Treatment Plant, nyc.gov archive. This is Section 8.2 of The Croton Water Filtration Plant Project: Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, July 16, 2004: “In 1938, designs were prepared for Gate Houses Nos. 2, 5, and 7. Plans were prepared by the Design Unit, Project Planning Section, Division of Operations, and Works Progress Administration (WPA). No architect's name is associated with these designs since they were prepared by the federal staff of the WPA for the New York City DWSG&E. There is no evidence that the construction of these gate houses entailed any changes to the mechanic