Bronx New Deal - Photo #486 - SUNY Maritime College

    Enlarge
486

SUNY Maritime College athletic field and grandstand. When originally built (as Newport Field) by the WPA in 1936-38 it was much larger and there was also a parade ground. It shrunk considerably (and was remodeled) after 1960s campus construction. Throgs Neck Bridge to Queens, and Queens itself (Bay Terrace section), in the background.

The New Deal in NYC 1932-1943 | Frank da Cruz | fdc@columbia.edu