The Joan of Arc statue
on Riverside Drive at 93rd Street,
by Anna Vaugh Hyatt Huntington, dedicated in 1915. In 1939, the statue
was repatined, its broken sword restored, and its staircase repaired.
As noted in references[2-5] below, this was done by the Parks Department
Monuments Restoration Project which was part of the WPA.
Park: Joan of Arc Memorial, New York City Parks Department website.
Monuments Conservation Crew Vintage Film, c.1934 to 1937, NYC Parks
Department archive. Video segment 31:04-31:36. “With support from the
Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) this film was taken in
the 1930s by Karl Gruppe (1893-1982), chief sculptor of the Monument
Restoration Project of the New York City Parks Department, from 1934 to
- NYC Parks Dept press release
of April 11, 1937: “Mr. Gruppe has been in charge of the monument
restoration projects of the Park Department since early 1934 and has
superintended the rehabilitation of many of the City's monuments since that
time, notable among these projects have been ... the Joan of Arc
Statue on Riverside Drive...”
- Lowrey, Carol, A
Legacy of Art: Paintings and Sculptures by Artist Life Members of the
National Arts Club, Hudson Hills (2007): “Gruppe was
closely involved in the conservation of New York's public sculptures from