, a block east of Bronx Park on the south side of
Britton Street between Barker and Olinville Avenues. One of nine
War Memorial Playgrounds opened by Mayor LaGuardia on July 15, 1934.
Playground Will Cost $530,000, New York Times, 20 April 1934,
p.40: The headline concerns Sara Roosevelt (Chrystie-Forsyth) Park but the
article also lists other projects: "Bronx: Olinville Av., southwest corner
of Britton St.: two-story brick recreation building, 45×24, City of
New York, Department of Parks, owner; Aymar Embury, architect; cost:
- Parks Department press release
of 15 July 1934 credits the "Works Division of the Department of Public
Welfare" for some of the labor.
- Parks Department press release of
September 27, 1941 indicates that further " work was carried out by the
Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of