Bronx New Deal - Photo #432 - St. James Park

    Enlarge
432

St. James Park, in the Fordham section of the Bronx, between Jerome and Creston Avenues and East 191st and 193rd Streets, a few hundred feet north of the intersection of Grand Concourse and Fordham Road [MAP]. This is the park entrance at Morris Avenue and 191st Street, April 15, 2015. St. James Park was created by the City about 1900 and named after a nearby church. According to a NYC Parks Department press of June 3, 1935:
This park is eleven and one half acres in area and was completely replanned and reconstructed during the past four months. A Central Mall, with wide bench line paths facing a centre turf panel, bisects the area taking the place of the former dusty extension of 132nd Street. South of the Mall is a large open lawn encircled by a promenade for park visitors. The northern section is devoted principally to recreation activities. Twelve new tennis courts have been provided and a completely equipped children's playground occupies the space along Jerome Avenue. The work this spring has involved the construction of paths, the grading and top-soiling of the lawn areas and the setting out of 192 trees and 5865 shrubs.
Although the press release does not credit the CWA, PWA, WPA, or any other New Deal agency for labor, design, or funding