, a block east of Bronx Park on the south side of
Britton Street between Barker and Olinville Avenues. One of nine
War Memorial Playgrounds opened by Mayor LaGuardia on July 15, 1934.
The Parks Department press release
credits the "Works Division of the Department of Public Welfare" for
some of the labor. Beyond that, there is no mention of how the playgrounds
were designed and built. But by the reasoning laid out
, it's almost inconceivable
that federally-funded work relief was not involved.
But in any case, the playground was expanded a few years later, as described
in a Parks Department press release of
September 27, 1941, and "the work was carried out by the Work Projects
Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks".