Frank da CruzWilliamsbridge Oval Park ("Oval Park", "The Oval", "WBO") in the Bronx sits on the site of an abandoned reservoir. The park was funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, and designed and built in 1934-37 by unemployed architects, engineers, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, stonemasons, bricklayers, carpenters, and other workers who were hired by the WPA for this three-year project and placed under the supervision of the newly-consolidated New York City Parks Department headed by Robert Moses. The park opened to considerable fanfare on September 11, 1937. CLICK HERE for details and more history, and click on the letter at upper left for details about sponsors and patrons of the anniversary event.
10 September 2017
Oval Park's 80th birthday was celebrated at a special event in the park two days early on Saturday, September 9, 2017, 12:30-2:30, featuring (among other things) Swing music by some of the very same big-name 1930s orchestras that a