Page 1 of Happy Days
, the newspaper of the CCC, 12 October 1935:
300 Years of Dust
: "San Diego de Jemez,
A Franciscan mission reminiscent of the days when Spanish glory tramped the
plains of New Mexico, is rapidly being unearthed from beneath three
centuries of accumlated dust and sand by 40 enrollees of Co. 837, Jemez,
|Digging Jémez ruins|
Click to enlarge
|Spanish mission ruins|
Click to enlarge
"Under supervision of a University of New Mexico Archeologist Bliss and the
U.S. Forest Service, the old ruins are being excavated, the foundation
reinforced, and general preservation work carried out.
"Erected by the Franciscan friars of Spain in 1617, the old Jemez Mission was
one of the largest churches built at that time, and was located in the heart
of a populous Indian Country.
"During the bloody Pope Rebellion of 1680, the Jemez Pueblo Indians were
among those who overthrew Spanish domination. While death rode unbridled
during those terrible days, the Franciscan friar, Juan de Jesus, in charge
of the Mission of the Jemez, was shot to death by an arrow while praying at
"He was buried in the church, but later, when De Vargus returned and
reconquered the country, the padre's remains were taken to Santa Fe.
Archeological interest is high among the boys working on the ruins.
Mr. Bliss gives lectures twice a week to the 40 men working on the ruins.
"The pictures above show one large church room which has been reclaimed from
the sands of centuries and some of the enrollees on the job with
D.W. Thornburg, project superintendent, directing them."
The article makes no mention of Pueblo ruins, but they were excavated too.
- 300 Years of Dust, Happy Days (the
newspaper of the CCC), Vol.III, No.22, Saturday, October 12, 1935, p.1.