Bronx New Deal - Photo #340 - Bronx Park North

    Enlarge
340

North end of Bronx Park, June 2014: path, lighting, benches, footbridge over the Bronx River.

Until 1937, the north portion of Bronx Park was owned by the NY Botanical Garden and the NY Zoological Society and had no public facilities such as paths, lighting, playgrounds, or athletic fields. As part of the Bronx River Parkway extension project, the Parks Department gained jurisdiction and, with Works Progress Administration labor, began to convert the entire area into a park. This was one big New Deal project with many parts, including:

The rest of this land would be turned by the WPA labor force into a proper park with landscaping, asphalt paths, bridges, lighting, benches, drinking fountains, drainage, comfort stations, and entry points (including two footbridges over the