Central Park New Deal Tour
Frank da Cruz
New Deal sites in Manhattan's Central Park. Photos (except where
otherwise indicated) taken by me on July 16, 2015, walking from south (59th
Street) to north (110th Street) and presented in that order.
July 16, 2015
Tue Mar 28 13:07:40 2017
Although Central Park was created in the 1850s from plans by Frederick Law
Olmstead and Calvert Vaux, many of the features we see there today are New
- Renovation of the entire park in 1934.
- The Central Park Zoo
- The Great Lawn.
- Tavern On The Green.
- The Conservatory Garden.
- The Model Boathouse.
- 21 new playgrounds and numerous baseball fields.
- New bridle paths and renovation of existing ones.
- Reconstruction of the entire Harlem Meer plus a new boathouse and
- Statuary including Mother Goose, Dancing Goat, Dancing Bear, Loeb
- WPA murals in the lobby of the Arsenal, and renovation of
the Arsenal itself.
(Click on any photo to enter)
Heckscher Playground and Ballfields